Sunday, August 24, 2008

Frugal Tip Of The Day!

Since gas prices are ever on the rise, all of our groceries have gone up in price as well. I have been looking for ways to make my food that I buy last longer. I hate the fact that I spend a lot of money on fresh produce and then it goes bad in the refrigerator 3-5 days after I get it.
I have been looking for something to help with this for some time. I was working doing customer service for an online shopping company and saw Debbie Myer's Green Bags. I was a bit skeptical, but knew I had 30 days to return them if they did not work as stated. So I purchased a set of those and the produce wash that came with it. With all the salmonella and E Coli scares on produce I was happy to get this too.
I tried the green bags and was thrilled with the way that they kept bananas and lettuce from going bad. Before the green bags, bananas would last maybe 3 days before they were overly ripe. I had bananas in the green bag for over a week and they were still very good.
Lettuce is something else I lose quite frequently. It stays in the green bags for longer than a week and is still very crispy and fresh! For those 2 items it was well worth the purchase.
I spray all my fresh fruit and veggies with the produce spray and so far none of us have ever gotten sick eating anything like that.
The bags are reusable and just wash, and turn inside out and dry before using again. So good bargain for the $$$ they cost!

No comments: